Here are the rules for using the monorail if you’re in a wheelchair or ECV:
- A cast member is always there, and will show you where to go to wait to be boarded.
- When the Monorail comes to a stop, a cast member will put a portable ramp down so you can ride into the train car.
- If you’re riding an ECV, be sure to put it in turtle/slow mode for safety.
- Slowly drive forward up the ram facing forward. Pull as far forward as you can.
- The Cast Member will direct you if you need help moving your chair into the correct position.
- You can then either stay in your wheelchair or ECV, or you can transfer to a Monorail seat. If you stay in your wheelchair be sure to lock the brakes before the monorail starts moving.
- To depart, the doors will open. Wait for a Cast member to put the rail down. Drive out slowly.
Here are some specifics about the Monorail centers for wheelchair and ECV users, and for those who have mobility issues:
- At the parks (Epcot and Magic Kingdom) and at the Transportation and Ticket Center, the ramps (up to the Monorail and down as you depart) are wide but quite steep. Manual wheelchair users will find this extremely challenging.
- At the Epcot Monorail station to go up to the loading platform guests can choose to use the elevator or ramp. The elevator is rather small, and takes you directly to the loading platform. Coming down from the Epcot Monorail guests must use the ramp. The ramp here isn’t as steep as the one at Magic Kingdom since it has sections that are fairly level interspersed to cut the ramp angle down.
- At the Grand Floridian, Contemporary and Polynesian Resorts, there are elevators to take you to the Monorail platform levels.
Do you have more tips or thoughts on this topic?
Please feel free to post them in a comment below. We’d love your input.
Join our facebook group!!!!
Ask any questions, share your knowledge and just enjoy getting to know other Disney fanatics in our facebook group called Walt Disney World Made Easy for Everyone.
Also join me on Pinterest here.
GET UPDATES, NEWS & TIPS (IT’S FREE!!!)
Sign up below to stay updated on the newest information, tips and tricks to help you plan your perfect Disney World trip!