Perhaps you don’t wish to rent a car, but you’re still looking for the occasional lift to somewhere that Disney doesn’t offer direct transportation to. Or maybe you need to leave the Disney World grounds. Even if you’re just willing to pay to avoid the crowds and the waiting in line for Disney transportation, using a taxi or Town Car service is a convenient option.
You’ll have several choices:
- Taxis and Town Cars
- Uber or Lyft
We’ll cover Taxis and Uber. Lyft is very similar to Uber, though less well-known.
Taxis, Luxury Cars and Limousines in Orlando and at Disney World:
Mears is the taxi service contracted to provide service at Disney (Checker Cab, City Cab and Yellow Cab are all divisions of Mears). No other cab company can use the cab stands at Disney. In addition to regular taxis, they also have luxury vehicles including sedans, SUVs, vans and Limousines. We have heard that Mears tends to be more expensive than Uber.
Costs: Mears allows you to calculate and book your ride online. Visit the site to get pricing for the destinations your planning on:
- For regular taxis: MEARS TAXI FARE ESTIMATOR
- For luxury vehicles: MEARS LUXURY VEHICLE FARE ESTIMATOR
Accessible Taxis: Mears has accessible taxi-vans that will take a wheelchair or scooter, but it can take a while to get one of those to you since there are a limited number of them and they’re usually out in service. Town Cars are not accessible, and can’t accommodate wheelchairs or scooters.
Mears Contact information:
- Orlando Airport and Attraction Shuttle Reservations – (407) 423-5566
- Mears Global Chauffeured Services – (866) 435-5686
- Group Transportation Sales – (407) 839-1570
- Taxicab Dispatch – (407) 422-2222
Using Uber Orlando in Orlando and at at Disney World
With Uber, local people sign up to be drivers and use their own cars to taxi customers. Uber has been giving regular taxi services a run for their money. They tend to be far less expensive. Of course it’s a completely different kind of service, but it’s becoming very successful. Many of the members of our Disney Facebook group (feel free to come visit and join) have used it, and really prefer it to regular taxis.
Regular folks can sign up to be an Uber driver, and they use their own cars.
How does Uber Work?
- You download an app to your phone (Android, iOS, Windows).
- You use the app to request an Uber driver to come take you to your destination. You can choose between different levels of cars.
Of course it’s the more luxurious the vehicle, the more expensive the fare. They have a category for minivans and large SUVs that will take up to 6 passengers.
Cost of Uber:
You can use the Uber fee estimator here:
Using Uber from or to Disney locations:
Your Uber driver will pick you up and drop you off on Disney property. There are a couple restrictions in the following locations:
- Coronado Springs rooms. They can only pick you up at the main lobby entrance.
- Any resort you’re not staying in – You must have a dining reservation for them to be allowed in.
- At Magic Kingdom you can be dropped off or picked up at the Taxi queue in the Ticket and Transportation Center where you’ll pick up either the monorail or the boat to Magic Kingdom’s gate. Uber can not take you to the gate.
- Because of the ongoing changes at Disney Springs, pick-up and drop-off locations change. You’ll need to check for current locations.
They’re allowed into all the parks, and you won’t be asked to pay for the car to enter.
Additional Uber info:
Uber can also take you to other locations in the Orlando area, and beyond such as Tampa.
For child seats, they may be able to provide one forward facing car seat for a child who is at least 12 months old and 22 lbs and 31 inches (more details found here). There’s currently an addition charge of $8 for that. Availability may be limited.
For more reading on Disney World Taxis and Uber:
To compare Uber vs. renting a car, check out this article on disneytouristblog.com called Uber vs. Rental Cars at Disney World.
wdwprepschool.com has a great article that’s very detailed on how Uber works.
There’s an entire thread on Using Uber at Disney World on disboards.com. You’ll find almost any question you ever had about Uber answered here.
Do you have more tips or thoughts on this topic?
Please feel free to post them in a comment below. We’d love your input.
Join our facebook group!!!!
Ask any questions, share your knowledge and just enjoy getting to know other Disney fanatics in our facebook group called Walt Disney World Made Easy for Everyone.
Also join me on Pinterest here.
GET UPDATES, NEWS & TIPS (IT’S FREE!!!)
Sign up below to stay updated on the newest information, tips and tricks to help you plan your perfect Disney World trip!